My position on toys is...
WHEN A TOY DOES LESS, A CHILD CAN DO MORE
If you are interested in having me review your product on my blog please email me at thetoysnob(at)gmail(dot)com!

Thursday, November 13, 2008

DIY book for babies

Babies loooooove to look at other babies and kids. So, when my son was little I filled an 8x8 scrapbook album with pictures of babies. I took old parenting magazines and cut down the pictures to fit the album sleeves. He loved it! Here's a few suggestions when making this:
  • Find babies showing different emotions or expressions (ie: crying, smiling, staring)
  • Also include babies doing different activities (ie: sleeping, eating, playing, etc)
  • Cut out extra pictures to rotate in the album so your baby doesn't tire of it
  • Make an album of just family members and close friends
  • Most important: talk about the babies in the pictures, about the feelings, or what they're doing in the picture.
I guarantee your baby will love it! And best of all, it's cheap!

3 comments:

Debbie said...

This is such a great idea! On my to do list for sure.

Thanks for all your posts. I'm so glad I found your blog!

Anonymous said...

We actually are doing something similar to prepare our 18-month old for a trip to visit family in another state. We have a story about her Big Trip, illustrated with clip art and photographs. The second part of the book is just pictures of the people she'll meet and the places she'll see.

I hope it helps her -- at least, she loves the book and asks for it all the time!

kelly said...

Along the same lines, I made a book for my son when he was small, entitled "What Can (his name) Do?" Each page had a picture of him doing one thing: eating, playing, sleeping, laughing, yawning, crying, riding in a grocery cart, crawling, etc. A simple sentence accompanied each picture: "(his name) can take a bath." I laminated and bound the pages with rings, making it easy to add new pages as he was able to do new things. It's a baby book and scrapbook rolled into one, is good for name recognition (finding his name in each simple sentence), and will be good for early reading. Laminators really come in handy...you can do so much with them. I've made additional books about family, vacations, etc. Using the babies from parenting magaizines is a fantastic idea.