My position on toys is...
WHEN A TOY DOES LESS, A CHILD CAN DO MORE
If you are interested in having me review your product on my blog please email me at thetoysnob(at)gmail(dot)com!

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Alternative Thursday




So, I've been a slacker the last two weeks on the Alternative Thursday posts and I apologize. Looking at my son's easel the other day gave me the idea for this post. While I had toyed with the idea for a couple years of going with a typical Little Tikes or Step 2 easel, I came to the conclusion that most of his other toys weren't typical, why should his easel be? So, in my search for a mostly wooden easel, I found this Deluxe Standing Easel (left) made by Melissa & Doug. It has a white board on one side and a chalk board on the other along with art clips to secure your paper to the easel. My son got it for his birthday in December and has loved it ever since! A couple downsides: it doesn't come with any accessories, and the colorful screw covers just scream to be played with and consequently taken off and lost, but other than that we LOVE it! Ikea also has a nice wooden easel frame that has been really popular. Melissa & Doug makes a nice Deluxe Easel Accessory Kit:
Or, if you want to give your kid more color choices than red, yellow, green, and blue, I suggest heading over to Discount School Supply where they have No-Spill Paint Cups, 16 oz. Paint Refill Bottles individually or in a set of 11 colors, and several different styles and sizes of Paint Brushes. Don't forget the paper roll, which you can buy at your local specialty toy store along with the easel, and you're set! You can always get the chalk and dry-erase markers at an office supply store, no need to buy the more expensive "kid" kind.




1 comment:

Christine said...

Our kids love our easel too. We got ours at IKEA. It's a very basic easel. No bells and whistles, but for $20, it worked its way into our budget nicely.