My position on toys is...
WHEN A TOY DOES LESS, A CHILD CAN DO MORE
If you are interested in having me review your product on my blog please email me at thetoysnob(at)gmail(dot)com!

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Drums for Baby On Up


Plastic, electronic drum vs. Remo Kids Percussion Tom Drum

When my son was little I bought a used electronic drum, very similar to the one featured here. It played a song and sang the alphabet while the letters flashed on the "screen" on top. While he loved it, I was annoyed that it couldn't just be powered by him. About a year ago I stumbled across these Remo percussion drums at a local store. They are beautifully made and have a wonderful, natural drum sound to them. Babies and big kids alike will be rewarded with a resonating, acoustic sound by pounding the Fiberskyn 3 drumhead. It's a great way to teach rhythm, too. Here's a simple game you can play with toddlers on up: Start with a simple pattern and have your toddler repeat it. Gradually make it more complex each time he masters the pattern. This is a great way to teach your child how to fine tune his listening skills while teaching rhythm.

The Remo drum is a wonderful addition to our musical instruments. And learning letters, well, it can wait, six month olds (age recommendation for plastic drum) don't need to learn them anyway.

No comments: