My position on toys is...
WHEN A TOY DOES LESS, A CHILD CAN DO MORE
If you are interested in having me review your product on my blog please email me at thetoysnob(at)gmail(dot)com!

Thursday, January 17, 2008

No Screen Required


Right now on the top of my wishlist of toys for my son is the GeoSafari Laptop by Educational Insights. For ages 3 to 7, it comes with 63 double-sided cards and an advanced pack of cards is available for 8 and older, so it's a system that can grow with your child. The basic concept is that you put one of the cards on the laptop, enter the code so it knows which card you are using, then "play" the game on the card. You can even set it to two-player mode. Your child will think it is so cool they have their own "computer." I had a GeoSafari similar to this one when I was younger and absolutely loved it compared to my brother's flashy, fast-paced computer games.

The laptop is a great alternative to CD and internet games your kids play on the computer. The reason? There are no moving images which doctors are worried mess up the synapses in young children's brains causing attention problems and behavioral difficulties. We've all been told to keep screen time to less than 2 hours a day for children over the age of 2. This learning device is a great way to cut down on that screen time, but allow your child the fun of an electronic game at the same time. You can feel good about letting them play this for as long as they want!

No comments: